skip to main content

Financial Aid Resources

What is the financial aid process?

What is the financial aid process?

Follow these steps to ensure you complete the process the right way!



Understand which application to complete - FAFSA or CADAA
To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans,  you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. 
The CADAA is the most appropriate financial aid application for students who are residents of California and are not eligible to complete the FAFSA application.


Collect the documents you need to complete FAFSA/CADAA using the checklist below.


Complete the FAFSA/CADAA at home or at school. We are a partner district with CCGI and encourage all students to launch their financial aid applications through the CCGI platform.  First activate your student account, then go into "My Financial Aid Plan", and click "Launch FAFSA/CADAA" to start your financial aid application.
Help is available!
View the 2024 Financial Aid workshop flyers below for workshop dates and locations:
Contact your School Counselor or Student Success Liaison Louisa Song at (650) 381-2239 or email
Financial Aid Calendar

Financial Aid Calendar

Frequently asked questions (faq)

Frequently asked questions (faq)

As of July of 2022, all graduating seniors are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application (CADAA). There is an option to submit an opt-out form.
Why should I complete a financial aid application?
Completing these applications increases students' access to financial aid, which includes the Pell Grant, Cal Grant, Community College Promise Grant, and so much more!
How do I complete a financial aid application?
All SUHSD schools, community colleges, and community based organizations will host Cash 4 College/financial aid application workshops to support students and families in completing their applications.
Who is the "contributor" for the FAFSA/CADAA form?
The parent is likely going to be identified as a “contributor” for information when filling out the FAFSA or CADAA form.

A contributor refers to anyone asked to provide information on a student's FAFSA/CADAA form.  Being a contributor for the application does NOT implicate financial responsibility and there is no obligation to pay for the student’s college education. 

Contributors are actually information providers in this process. 

Contributors must consent to provide financial information for the student's FAFSA/CADAA in order for the student to be considered for financial aid.  

If a required contributor refuses to provide their information, it will result in an incomplete FAFSA form and the student will become ineligible for federal student aid.
How can I obtain more information?
Please connect with your School Counselor or Student Success Liaison Louisa Song at (650) 381-2239 or email For general information, please visit the CA Student Aid Commission website.
opt-out Form

opt-out Form

If your family is not eligible to submit a FAFSA or CADAA or you choose not to submit a financial aid application, you may fill out the Opt-Out form for the Universal FAFSA/CADAA requirement.