Open Enrollment Transfers
Open Enrollment Closed
Interested in TIDE Academy?
See the flyer (English & Spanish) for more information:
What is an Open Enrollment Transfer?
Open Enrollment Transfers are available to incoming 9th grade students who wish to attend a school other than their assigned home school. After enrollment targets are established at each school, and a determination is made that there are available seats, a random, unbiased drawing will be held to assign students to those open seats. SUHSD's Administrative Regulation 5116.1 includes further information.
You do not need to complete an Open Enrollment Transfer Application if you want your child to attend their assigned home school. If you would like to request for your incoming 9th grader to attend a different school, please complete an online Open Enrollment Transfer Application below, prior to the deadline.
Open Enrollment Transfer Timeline (dates below are annual and do not change):
- Early October - an Open Enrollment letter goes out to all current 8th grade students
- November 1: Address Verification (AV) window opens; all Open Enrollment Transfer requests must be accompanied by a completed AV by the time Open Enrollment window closes.
- November 15: Open Enrollment Transfer window opens at 12:00pm
- February 1: Open Enrollment Transfer window Closes at 4:00pm
- No late applications are accepted
- February 9 (tentative): Public drawing will be held (if necessary) for those schools which have more requests than available seats. Students will not know if their application request has been approved at this drawing. The drawing will be held at the Sequoia Union High School District Office (Board room) at 480 James Avenue in Redwood City at 3:00 p.m (note: the drawing may be held electronically via video conference). Your attendance is not required.
- First week of March: Approved transfer letter sent to those families who have a transfer approved. A wait list will be established for those who have not had their application approved.
- April 30: The waitlist expires. If you do not receive a letter regarding the waitlist by this date, you were not approved for a transfer. SUHSD will not send out letters for non-approval for students on the waitlist.
Upon submitting an Open Enrollment Transfer Application, you agree to and understand the following:
- Open Enrollment Transfers are available only to incoming 9th grade students
- Open Enrollment Transfers will not be reversed or rescinded once the submission window is closed and the deadline has passed
- Younger Siblings of current students attending the requested or desired school (residing in the same household) will have priority above other Open Enrollment Transfer Applications. An older student is not eligible to transfer to the school of a younger sibling
- If an Open Enrollment Transfer is requested, the new school becomes the student’s home school
- Open Enrollment Transfer requests are made on a space available basis at each school site
- Late applicants will NOT be added to the wait list.
- Applications without a completed Address Verification (AV) will be deleted. All Open Enrollment Transfer requests must be accompanied by a complete AV by the time the Open Enrollment window closes.
- If you apply for an Open Enrollment Transfer and are granted your choice, you are responsible for transportation of your student
Home School Search
What is my Assigned Home School?
Boundary Exception Requests
Ninth Grade Boundary Exception Requests
- Tinsley Program - Board Policy
Tinsley Program - For students transitioning into the Sequoia Union High School DIstrict after participation in the Tinsley program in middle school.
- Redesignated Boundaries- Board Policy
Students living in an attendance area that was re-designated as a result of the boundary changes adopted by the Board of Trustees effective as of the 2015-16 school year may request to attend the school to which they were originally assigned.
- Students residing in "the Avenues"
Students residing in the North Fair Oaks community known as "The Avenues" (area within the boundaries of Middlefield Road, Edison Way, and Eighth Avenue) who remain within Menlo-Atherton High School attendance area and wish to attend Sequoia High School
- Must be filed during the Open Enrollment period
- Must submit an application
- Are available on a space available basis
1. How does the district determine which high school my student is assigned to?
The district determines which high school your student attends based on your home address. Click Boundary Search to perform search. Address verification must be completed at the district office. See the Address Verification page for further details.
2. What if the school assigned is not my preferred school?
If you have an incoming 9th grader, please complete the Open Enrollment Transfer Application on this page. Approvals are lottery-based and not guaranteed. This applies to incoming 9th grade students only.
3. Do I have to submit an Open Enrollment transfer if I want my student to attend his/her ASSIGNED home school?
4. Can my student return to his/her originally assigned school if the new school does not work out?
No. Once the transfer request is approved, you may not rescind or transfer.
5. Does my student qualify for sibling priority if they have a sibling who previously attended the school but has since graduated?
No. In order to qualify for the sibling priority, the student must have a sibling assigned to the school during the school year requested.
6. Can I appeal if my child does not get into our desired school through Open Enrollment?
No. There is no appeal process. If your student does not get into your desired school through the Open Enrollment Transfer process, he/she must attend his/her assigned school.
- Administrative Services
- Maintenance & Operations
- Technology & Information Services
- Food Services
- Educational Services
- English Learner & Special Programs
- Professional Development & Curriculum
- Research, Evaluation & Compliance/Categoricals
- Special Education
- TIPS - Teacher Induction Partnership for Success
- LCFF & LCAP
- Human Resources
- General Information
- Retirees' Benefits
- COVID-19 Info. for Staff
- Job Opportunities/Descriptions
- Mandated Reporting
- Title IX
- Workers' Compensation
- Employee Notifications
- Labor Negotiations
- Student Services
- COVID-19 Updates
- COVID-19 Dashboard
- COVID-19 Guidelines
- COVID-19 Testing Appointments
- COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Fall 2021 Opening Plan
- AB104 Retention
- Address Verification or Change
- Attendance and Welfare
- Boundary Search
- Health Services
- Info. for incoming 9th Grade Students
- Interdistrict Transfers
- Open Enrollment Transfers
- Section 504
- Social Emotional Learning
- CA Healthy Kids Survey
- Community Involvement
- Counseling, Psych., Social Services
- Employee Wellness
- Family Engagement
- Health Education
- Health Services
- Nutrition Environment & Services
- Physical Education & Activity
- Physical Environment
- School & Emotional Climate
- Student Health & Wellness Resources
- Wellness Advisory Council (WAC)
- District Wellness in the News
- Digital Wellbeing
- COVID-19 Updates
- Administrative Services